Wednesday 20 October 2010

Beyond Glossop

BEYOND GLOSSOP
cats eyes?
beacons that light a roadside?

Snake Pass
midnight
winter

not cats'
but eyes of sheep
headlight-reflected pins

the dark shape
seen too late
squeal of brakes
crash of glass
a dying ewe bleats
silently

splinters of glass
from a broken headlamp
mix with mutton blood

the wind howls
the mountain streams cascade
there is no moon above the mist
there are no lights now

all is frozen
© GERALD ENGLAND

Composed: Ashton under Lyne, 20th September 1980

Publications

1984 Aireings (UK)
1992 Hybrid (UK)
1992 STEALING KISSES (Hyde, New Hope International)

2 comments:

  1. Made me think of William Stafford. "Traveling through the Dark" I think is the title of the poem. I just love reading your poetry. I need a break from the blogging B.S. I get myself into. Someday, I'll meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Gerald,
    Beyond Glossop is one of those phrases, like Back O' Skiddaw, it's a title full of mysterious promise, A kind of going into the unknown, into the world of strange forces.
    Best wishes,
    gwilym

    ReplyDelete