Sunday 26 September 2010

The Wall of Faith

THE WALL OF FAITH
My faith was like a wall
built of sound and solid brick
but in my sin I failed
to mix a mortar strong and true
so that it crumbled in the wind
and dissolved in the rain
and my wall fell down
in the storm

My second wall was built on sand
When the storm came
the ground began to swell
and solid to liquid turned
The bricks sank in the mire;
the whole construction began to sway;
the foundations collapsed
and, unsupported, the wall fell

My third wall was built
upon the word of the Lord,
fashioned with bricks baked
in the fire of truth,
fastened with the mortar of love;
a strong wall to withstand
the buffeting of any storm
or attacks of fiery darts
© Gerald England

Composed: Oldham, 1st August 1977

Publication

1985 Broken Streets (USA)

No comments:

Post a Comment