Sunday 5 September 2010

Leaving

LEAVING
There was nothing dramatic about your leaving.
As two strangers in a museum
we viewed more the objects of our own past
than those relics cased behind glass.
You poured the words from your soul
but kept back your heart -
I put my hand into yours,
offering the nothing I had to offer.
A child, staring at us,
found this live picture more interesting
than the works of art his parents persued.
Staring back into his puzzled, questioning eyes,
I tried to pass their warmth, but you
were unaware of any eyes except your own.
You will carry a part of me with you when you leave.
It will remain with you a long time.
The hardest part of leaving
is the waiting.
© GERALD ENGLAND

Composed: Sheffield, 1st December 1973

Publications

1990 Aireings (UK)
1992 STEALING KISSES (Hyde, New Hope International)

No comments:

Post a Comment