Tuesday 7 September 2010

The First Poem of 1974

THE FIRST POEM OF THE NEW YEAR
Somewhere I saw a Southwest wind
and I heard a sun rise in the distance
These are the only signs
of an Early Spring
The year is but a few days old
It has been a frosty start
Winter has still to accomplish her work
So little seems to change
So much continues as before
One day seems much like another
I should not have given the old year such a kick with my boot
I cannot welcome the New Year with bruised toes
It deserves better,
especially if there is to be an Early Spring
There is ice lying on the upper moor
I slipped and fell,
rolled in the brittle standing grass,
grazed my knee on a hard rock
The injury has healed
but even in the valley there is no heat
I want to warm the New Year with kisses,
to give it my whole body,
but I have been deaf to the rising of the sun
and blind to the Southwest wind
I will throw all that remains
on the fire
I shall use all the fuel at my command
I will force the fire to burn
It will be an Early Spring
© GERALD ENGLAND

Composed: Sheffield, 1st January 1974

Publications

1976 MEETINGS AT THE MOOR'S EDGE (West Kirkby, Headland)
1989 Working Titles (UK)
1999 Helicon (UK)

1 comment: