Monday 2 August 2010

Whilst Waiting

WHILST WAITING
There were so many
beautiful girls about
walking around
I looked at them all
and thought of you
You were not there
amongst all those
beautiful girls
I could not find you
The motorway had been harsh
the climate warm
until the fog descended
around five a.m.
I could have stayed
but you were not there
I left
made fruitless phone calls
filled the car with petrol,
myself with tea,
drove down to the dead-end coast
watched the ocean's roar
I thought of you
in New York
or flying the Atlantic,
perhaps in Belgium,
in a train or maybe
even back in London now
and looking for me
I need you more than ever now
though you don't know why
nor can
Tomorrow I shall make retreat
to wait some more
but not to stand around
nor to serve for aught
less than return's totality
© GERALD ENGLAND

Composed: Hallwood, 1st September 1972

Publication

1973 ENVIRONMENT (Thames Ditton, Ember Press)

1 comment:

  1. This has never happened to me. But Tessa has muscular dystrophy. If she lives another ten years, I will be pleased. Grateful. Fortunate. But, no matter when she goes, if she precedes me, I'll be standing on a beach waiting. Perhaps I'll move to England and wait there. Good a place as any.

    TheFredEffect

    ReplyDelete