Thursday 1 July 2010

Temperatures

TEMPERATURES
The snow fell thick and fast
that night
The phone went dead
at half past nine
so we had an early night
The drifts were hard up
against the doors
next morning
The car was marooned
in the old stable
We counted our stocks
of coal,
of food,
and waited for the thaw to come
A helicopter came
on the fifth day
It dropped us some food
and a letter
from your mother
After the snowplough
got finally through
we gathered ourselves together
and I drove you
over the Wolds
to Malton
A slow train to York
then non-stop home
That summer
you bought me a little Galloway
and stabled her in the garage
We rode her together
over Millington Wold
over Cold Wold
and up as far as Thixendale,
your warm body
pressing at my back
I raced her later
at Kiplincotes
Running third two-thirds of the way
she fell and broke her ankle
I had her shot
You left me
© GERALD ENGLAND

Composed: Sheffield, 14th January 1971

Publications

1987 Inkshed (UK)
1992 STEALING KISSES (Hyde, New Hope International)
1996 Boggers All (UK)

No comments:

Post a Comment