Friday 23 July 2010

Motorist's Poem

MOTORING POEM
The motoring reports
and the propogandists state
that the Renault 4
is the most reliable car on the market
(apart from Jensen, Rolls-Royce, Mercedes)
Well I guess I always was unlucky
Mine must be the exception
that proves the rule
I've only had the car
for a little over eighteen months
but I've had a decoke
and a reconditioned engine
with new pistons, piston rings,
big end bearings, little ends too,
a new clutch plate, clutch cable,
throttle cable, throttle linkage,
two headlight units, various bulbs,
fuel tank, petrol pump, water pump,
four new tyres, various hoses, fan belt
and complete exhaust system.
two handbrake cables,
two brake drums, eight shoes,
a battery, drive-shaft,
windscreenwiper motor,
a shockabsorber, two
petrol caps (though they'd been stolen)
which more or less
completes the list
of items fitted to a
roomy but noisy,
badly accelerating,
slow little car
that's beginning to show
the usual signs of rust
The garage service
was as poor as the car's
and writing to Renault did no good
Well I never thought it would
And though I never was a proper patriot
I'm buying British next time mate
© GERALD ENGLAND

Composed: Sheffield, 1st February 1972

Publication

1972 Hallamshire & Osgoldcross Poetry Express (UK)

2 comments:

  1. I know. They told me the Renault Scenic is the safest car on the road. Unfortunately the other things haven't changed and I've told them time and again. And also a couple of letters. No more Renault. Next time it's a VW Caddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much later I bought a VW Jetta - hated it within two weeks - had to keep it for twelve months before I could change it.

    ReplyDelete