Sunday 30 May 2010

Not My Home

NOT MY HOME

Glasgow never had been my home!
My home
was elsewhere;
but I did admit to living
there.

There were times when I would almost
have called the city
mine,
but I was constantly reminded
that I was a foreigner
in that city.

There was a lack of communication
which lay
not in speech,
nor even
nationality!

It lay perhaps
in the dust of the streets;
in the halves and half-pints;
in the pseudo-religious cult of football;
in the crumbling tenements:
it lay ingrained
in the superficial.

Deep in the hearts of the city people
there was perhaps
no difference
between they
and I.

Glasgow was not my home,
but I did admit to living there.

© GERALD ENGLAND

Composed: Glasgow, 1st August 1967

Publications

1970 MOUSINGS (Sheffield, Headland)
1990 The Plastic Tower (USA)

No comments:

Post a Comment