Wednesday 12 May 2010

Free Life?

FREE LIFE?

Born into this world was I,
not of my free choice, but by
an act of love removed from all
thoughts of me, but yet I came,
without any call
to join the game.

As I wander through this life,
I do encounter much strife,
for which no-one has asked, but still
it comes to disturb the mind,
and put through the mill,
all who are kind

I travel from day to day
a rough and barren way
that leads to where I do not know,
but I still do journey on
finding as I go
that life has gone

Sometimes I stop for a rest
and I examine the quest;
is life really as meaningless
as to me it now would seem?
and is happiness
more than a dream?

An answer I cannot give;
strange is the life that I live,
to try to win when others lose,
putting trust in that I hold
no orthodox views
but ones quite bold

One day I know I shall die
no matter how I cry;
in birth and death I have no say,
live today, tomorrow dead
Here I shall not stay
nor make my bed.


© GERALD ENGLAND

Composed: Glasgow, 3rd March 1966

Publication
1966 POETIC SEQUENCE FOR FIVE VOICES (Glasgow, St John's)

No comments:

Post a Comment