Wednesday 26 May 2010

Charade

CHARADE


Life's mostly a game, said the poor man
That it is, said the rich man
But I won in the end
Won ? But you are poor
I won I am rich
Ah alas how little you have read of the rules
You are the one who lost
I too have my riches
and they are far greater than yours
I have credit in Zurich
The Post Office cashes my cheque
I eat the finest venison of Europe
and drink the best Burgundy
I eat only eggs
and drink only milk
I have servants at my beck and call
No man is my master
The animals in the fields are my only servants
God is my only master
I live in a white mansion
I live in a grey box
I am master of the game
You are just a pawn
I pity you
You are the pawn
I pity you
I have my thoughts of peace
I am too busy making money
to think of peace
I have the sun and the wind
the songs of the birds
the freshness of rain
and the friendship of dogs
I have no time
for such as these
I have riches in my soul
I have no soul
If I had it has died
I shall live when I die
When I die
the game will end

© GERALD ENGLAND

Composed: Glasgow, 5th May 1967

Publication

1991 New Wave (USA)

No comments:

Post a Comment